SUD CCAPP Approved Certification Studies Program
Substance Use Disorders Studies (SUDS) program
This program is designed to provide education and training in the prevention, intervention, and treatment of Substance Use Disorders (SUD). Our coursework provides education in theories, techniques, and uses the 12 core functions of substance abuse counseling. Our focus is on evidence-based practices, research and best practice standards. Our SUDS Program provides different academic channels or venues for learning. We believe in utilizing learning models, styles and theories of adult education to provide an excellent learning environment. A specialized supervised practicum program completes our SUDS program.
Currently courses are being held online. Application for Enrollment is open every eight weeks.
If you are looking for a learning environment in which you want to work on your own time and with your own resources while getting support from instructors who are experienced in the day to day operations of treatment facilities, then the MTS Web Based program is right for you!
About our Web Based SUD Program
In a Online Learning environment students attend to their coursework weekly, at their convenience.
- Networking with others in the field for possible job openings, internship opportunities or academic support.
- When needed: receive personal attention from experienced instructors and Director of Development. The Executive Director, Mary Hubbard, is actively involved and provides a safe and open door philosophy for each and every student. Mary is available by phone during regular business hours. If you are local to San Diego, request an appointment with Mary or one of the instructors at any time.
- At MTS a student will have the opportunity to research, read and complete assignments on their own time in their own environment.
- Students will obtain a better understanding of the principles and ethics expected of a counselor in the substance use disorder field
- Students will increase their knowledge in counseling, co-occurring, case management and working with special populations
- Participate in sample testing preparation for certification exams which increase the chances of successful passing of the required exam.
- Receive knowledge and feedback in the discussion forum from all students in the online classroom environment
Substance Use Disorders Studies (SUDS) Certificate Program
The program consists of six (6) academic courses; each course consist of eight (8) classes; totaling 45 hours or 3 units (3 credits). Each course is eight weeks in length.
Areas of Study:
- MTS-01 Introduction & Overview of Substance Use Disorders
- MTS-02 Law & Ethics
- MTS-03 Personal and Professional
- MTS-04 Physiology and Pharmacology
- MTS-05 Case Management
- MTS-06 Counseling Theories and Techniques **Note: courses may not be in this specific order
MTS-07 Supervised Practicum Course
The MTS practicum course is separate from the other six courses and is a blended environment. We believe that having one to one supervision at your intern site with instruction from a highly educated and experienced teacher is the best form of practice and experience.
This practicum course can be used to meet any of the following professional goals:
- Change or upgrade certification to a CADC II or LAADC
- Participate in the required CCAPP classroom internship while gaining 255 supervised hours in the field
- Prepare for a competency test and provide testing support
- Learn to be an expert at group facilitation by participating, observing others and giving feedback in a real group setting.
- Learn more about your style of counseling by including assessment, knowledge of theories and practical application of techniques into your counseling methods and strategies.
Our practicum course is on-site and consists of thirty-five (35) classroom hours and 15 online hours with a minimum of 255 clocked in hours of supervised experience in the field during the length of this course. We can help with placement if needed.